Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Kona landmark goes bye bye


I checked out our local paper today and saw the lead article and thought it might be of interest to divers who've dove here over the years.

"Pinetrees" is coming down. Hopefully this is a permanent link (you may have to register to see it, I don't know as I am already registered and get it when I click on the link) - http://westhawaiitoday.com/articles/2006/01/12/local/local01.txt . The "Pinetrees" area sees thousands of divers each year as several of our more popular dive sites featuring lava tubes are along this stretch of coastline. It's been referred to as "Pintrees" for years by surfers and divers, even though they are mangroves.

This is a Goldlace Nudibranch. They feature neat eyestalks and a prominent feathery gill structure that nudibranchs - "naked gill" in latin - are named for.

2 comments:

KrisinHawaii said...

Heya Steve, nice to see another Kona blogger. I like your photos alot! I'm going to blog-roll you... Keep writing! :)

Steve said...

Thanks Kris,

It took me a while to figure out how to do it, but I've added a link to your blog also.