Sunday, May 28, 2006

What about Bob?


Since I posted a pic of myself a couple posts back, I figured I'd post a pic of my primary crew member, Bob, on the blog. Bob was having a good hair day today, so he said "sure, why not", or something along those lines.

I've been fortunate enough so far to hire crew members who've been quite experienced in both the dive industry, and in particular, the dive industry in Kona. When my last primary crew member (I'm a small op so the crew consists largely of myself and one other person, with occasional fill in help) left for the mainland I had a few weeks to search for a replacement. I was worried that I may have to hire someone with 80-200 dives or so, a DM or Instructors certification and a good attitude (good attitude can make up for a lot of inexperience) .. I lucked out, Bob was interested, he wanted to get away from the bigger boats and work a 6 pack (6 divers max) again and have some fun.

About Bob: Bob's been teaching and leading dives in Hawaii for a decade or so. He worked at one of the largest dive companies in Oahu and came to Kona to dive when he had breaks, when he moved here to work at the shop I was working for at the time, I checked out their website (OK, I'm somewhat of a snoop, but it's nice to know who you're working with)... they had not yet taken his info down... it was quite complementary. Bob has been working in Kona since then and knows our underwater coastline forwards/backwards/inside and out... If you had asked me a couple months ago, before I hired Bob, "Which DM or Instructor in Kona has the most working dives in Kona the last 5 years?", Bob would have come up... Monday thorugh Friday (sometimes even the weekend), two dives a day for nearly 5 years... although there may be others in Kona who've done that, I can't think of any off hand.

Anyway, Bob recently logged dive number 4100+, beats me by over 2000. With his huge amount of experience here, as well as his dive adventures in Palau, Chuuk, Fiji, the Carribean, Indonesia (and soon the Galapagos), I consider Bob to be a great asset.

More about Bob: All that experience would be meaningless if it weren't matched by a good attitude. Bob's got it. I won't go on about it, I don't want to make Bob blush, but he's definitely someone I want representing my business.

So there, enough about Bob. My internet is down for some wierd reason, as soon as it comes back up I'll call Bob and tell him to check it out so he can tell me to yank this if he can't tolerate this post.

later,

Steve

Dive with Bob!!!

No comments: