Sunday, September 28, 2008

Wow, we've had some great diving conditions in Kona Hawaii recently...


The "summer" water conditions we've been wanting finally hit now that it's officially autumn. It's been really flat. The other day we did a dive down off "shark fin rock", off the old airport park, and one of our divers said he'd looked up when they got to 100' of depth and he could still see the boat... thing is, they were over 100' away from the boat at the time, and if I recall my 10th grade math correctly the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the length of the legs of a right triangle ... in other words we had really great viz... I can't figure out square roots anymore now that I'm old and getting gray in the cerebrum these days.

Later,

Steve

2 comments:

Andrew Cooper said...

100ft down and 100ft over, just multiply by the square root of two, or about 1.4 for 140ft visibility!

Sounds good! It has been nice. We have gotten in two shore dive this month and just need to get the tanks refilled for next weekend!

Steve said...

I didn't even think about dropping the zeroes... I was trying to figure out the square root of 20,000 in my head and it just hurt.